zondag 30 mei 2010

I beg you sign

Have been taking the sun for granted. My skirt and sunglasses were my uniform. But as rainy season is starting now, millions of potential malaria mosquitoes have turned me into the burka kind. And sometimes in 10 minutes enough rain falls to flood the streets. I take of my shoes and walk barefoot. To the car of course, not far. On an average day I don’t walk more than 300 meter. I have been told that this is about the distance an average American walks a day as well.

I just found out by the way that officially in Ghana cars coming from the left have the right of way. That could explain my numerous hunking sessions in traffic. Luckily though, I now know the “I beg you” sign. If you put the back of one hand in the palm of the other it means, depending on the context: “I beg you, please let me get into this line”. Or: “I beg you, please lower your price, as you can see I live here and I know the sign language, so don’t fool with me”. And last but not least (after going back and forward with orders that are 'finished' today): "I beg you, I see you have 500 things on your menu, but what DO you have?" Answer is always simple though. There might be crocodile and crab on the menu; all there really is, is chicken.

I'm actually having a bit of a crocodile theme lately; but I did in fact come across the one restaurant that did have it. Failed to live up to expectations though. It was just like chicken.