dinsdag 4 mei 2010

April in NY pictures

You can leave your country, but you can’t leave the Dutchness behind. Why take a cab if you have a bike right? Even though it was nerve wrecking from time to time, it was the best way to explore NY outside Manhattan.


The big blue building in the back is the UN by the way.




Coming from Africa I burned lobster red while touring the Big Apple in the first spring days. Song I felt like singing out loud all day was Nina Simone’s: Birds flying high you know how I feel / Sun in the sky you know how I feel / Reeds driftin’ on by you know how I feel / It’s a new dawn / It’s a new day / It’s a new life / For me / And I’m feeling good. With a very long and happy eeeee in feeling and oooo in good.

After nescafe powder and milk powder for over half a year, a heartshaped cappuccino, blueberry muffin AND carrot cake for breakfast tasted like an angel pied on my tongue. I am aware that this is most likely no English expression, but it was so good!

After spending the amount of the money on a haircut that would have been enough to vaccinate the complete population of Ghanaian children under five against all possible deseases, I felt bad. So we went to the MOMA in Queens to do at least something reasonable and go for a swim in modern art swimming pool.









And the rest of the time we hang around in parks (even old railways are parks in NY), listened to great jazz from a balcony stage, had a lovely picknick with old friends, went for a jog and romantic evening walks and yes, I spent some more money in my new favourite shop (Japanese Uniqlo, go there, it’s Japan’s gift to mankind apart from sushi, suzuki and tamagogis).