dinsdag 6 april 2010

Country girl in Manhattan


On the plane I had lots of time to think. I assumed there would be little televisions in all seats and I was all excited about the movies I was going to watch but no. No tv, and I didn't bring a book, so plenty of time for seated yoga and meditation practices and when I was done with that another 9 hours and a half for reflections.

Half way across the Atlantic I realized I have fulfilled my dreams. That might sound dramatic, but dramatic it is. After all, how often do you think about all you wished for before and how these dreams came true?

I remember the first time I came to New York and I was standing on the Empire State Building looking over the massive city, the tiny little yellow cabs and the pretty park. Different life, different love and long time ago. I remember pointing at the UN building, dreaming about working there and thinking it would be nearly impossible to get in and do so.

And here I am, little county girl, always scared that she is not smart enough. Now I'm eating my take away food while watching the little twinkling lights of Manhattan across the river. I know my way around on the subways and walk 30 blocks on sneakers with my heels in my bag and with a coffee to go like I live here. I enter a skyscraper office, take the elevator up to the 22 floor and feel like I really do and don't belong here at the same time.

But now that I think about it, I do still have something to wish for. I wish my soulmate was here with me instead of the fact that he just took off on a plane to Amsterdam. I wish he was still here to squeeze my arm and come up with new dreams. I even wish I was on that plane too at the moment. I think I might even enjoy reading the sky magazine 3 times, watching old mr Bean shows (I do really hate those though) or sit next to screaming kids. My new dream might involve a bike ride on the Dutch dikes on Eastern Monday, baking apple pies and telling everyone how great NYC was back in the days.