woensdag 21 april 2010

My secret lists

I love making lists. Somewhat neurotic and I never use them in the end, but they clear my mind. To do lists, list of people I need to call, grocery shopping list, list of favorite baby names (no concrete plans). Lately I have started daydreaming about my list of potential new duty stations I want to opt for when my contract ends in 2011. All in consultation with my supportive love of my life by the way. Utrecht also features on this list, although I think that is the only one we don’t agree on and has no UNICEF office.

There is one more list I regularly add on that I will share with you in a minute. I am obsessed with all the things I once want to do in my life. But most of them I can’t do at the moment. Life is pretty straightforward and easy here. Options on what to do on the weekends are limited to beach, pool, watch movies, hang out with friends and stay in bed. Occasionally I’ll go search the town for good wine or yogurt, but that is it really.

Thanks to steady supply and a great rotation system, I read quite a few Dutch magazines and books though. And there my obsession starts. So many things I once want to do that I shouldn’t forget about! You guys do them first and let me know which ones to keep. Enjoy!

- See the northern light, perhaps go to my sister's boyfriends cottage in Lofoten, the remotest place on earth in the north of Norway
- take the Blote Voeten Wandeling (take a bare foot walk)
- learn to dance the tango, learn how to properly give a massage, figure out photoshop finally
- Go to Berlin for a long weekend
- Drive through Namibia with one of these jeeps with a tent on the roof
- Leave more surprises for Taco around the house like little notes or funny presents
- Call in sick more often and go roller-blading in the dunes with a picnic in my backpack
- Don’t go to Zara and H&M anymore but buy a proper ladylike wardrobe. I think I have to open up a special savings account for my Scandinavian clothes fetish.
- Make my new favorite salad with smoked trout, black lentils, walnuts, goat cheese, avocado, lettuce, dried cranberries, pickles, cherry tomatoes, shallots and vinaigrette.
- Go on a night safari with a forester in the Hoge Veluwe
- Learn to take pictures like these so they give me that job

To be continued and I'm happy to hear your suggestions of things-not-to-forget-to-once-do.