donderdag 15 april 2010

Why Nigerian soaps are the best

I can really understand why rockstars eventually always trash their hotel rooms and throw their guitars out of the window. Not that I’m suddenly a rockstar, or that I’m planning on trashing my room. I’m just saying I understand. Spent quite some time in hotels the past two months and I am about to throw the broken Chinese airconditioner (with only Chinese characters on the remote control) out of the window. Or the pillow that smells like the dirty armpit of the last guest before me. Or the tv with the 5 local channels (a priest, a Nigerian soap opera, old football match from the 70ties, advertisement and one more Nigerian soap opera).

The soaps are the only programmes I really enjoy here. Although I have no clue what they are saying (honestly, I still am not sure whether it’s English with a real heavy accent that the are speaking or Hausa or another local language), they are fun and no actual understanding of the language is needed. It always involves stealing, ghosts and miracles, some violence, long pauses with dramatic looks when she walks into the bedroom and the husband is sleeping with someone else and long chasing of the bad guy. The secret code for a bad, slutty woman is when she smokes. There is no secret code for a bad man as they all seem to be stealing, lying, cheating sexists. The women are usually quite fat in my western European opinion. Which might partly be the reason why I prefer these programmes over America’s Next Top Model whilst eating my chocolate and banana’s for dinner.

6 months anniversary in Ghana today! And my blog may not always reflect this as I seem to prefer to write about the weird or slightly annoying things that happen, but I'm really liking it here. Including the complete chicken leg with all the little toes and long nails still on it in my soup today.