zondag 2 januari 2011

Bridezilla

Sitting in a tent in Nairobi I said yes to his question. You may think that was the most important decision and the rest is peanuts but mind you, that was only the easy part and then it started:

On invitations: what to do with the colleagues and moreover, the partners of the colleagues? On essentials: do I want to look cool or is this the one and only time I can dress up like Sissi and get away with wearing fake fur? And what to do with a fiance who does not want to wear a ring? Is that because he is a potential cheater or is it because I don’t even like men who wear wedding rings and him being different is why I said yes to him in the first place? How to avoid a painful bachelorette party? Although the surprise bridal shower in Ghana was really fun, especially because I had never heard of the phenomenon of bridal showers before and thought I was going to pick up my friend to go to a bbq. And because I had to wear a ripped up mosquito net and got to drink a lot of champagne. I guess the real question is how to avoid an embarrassing bachelorette party that does not involve pink bubbles then.

Also a major issue: Where to organise a party for 150 people in Amsterdam, a bonfire although it’s winter and some good music? And where can you do the same thing but without paying a year’s salary? On that one, please advise people! And oh well, a thousand of other issues of life and death that will keep me occupied for the next months. Forget about the schools for refugees from Cote d’Ivoire, I will be cracking my brain how to fit into my grandmother’s wedding dress that she wore in the winter of 1944. Indeed, when she was super skinny as all she ate was tulip bulbs.

But maybe, before I start to really dislike myself, we should just go for the ‘get married for free on Monday morning in the city hall’ and I could just be on the back of his bike in a h&m summer dress.