maandag 13 september 2010

Superstition in the night

I have some very sick habits. One of them is checking the BBC website when someone I love is flying. To see whether there has been a plane crash. I even do it in the middle of the night. Suddenly I wake up, shiver and I think that I ‘feel’ something has happened. Once I get that on my mind there is nothing I can do but get up and switch on my laptop. With the speed of internet in 1992 I wait for the website to load. I feel my heartbeat, hold my breath and think about who would have called me to tell me if something had happened. What if I find out first on the internet. What on earth would I do?

And then, with first the red header slowly appearing on the screen, I go over the headlines and breathe out. And I thank God, Allah, the Universe. Only a hurricane, deaths in the Middle East and an increased risk for thousands of children to die from cholera last night.